Tuesday, August 14, 2012

An independent's cry of sorrow...

Well said words from a good friend:

"As an Independent, it is in my best interest to have two or more parties presenting candidates that are so awesome it's hard to make a decision. The last election didn't have that and neither does this. It's a damned shame, too. It's been an easy choice for me, though I have tried to hold out til the end. I'm not even seeing that option and it saddens me. There are so many positives that could come out of our election at this time. I don't believe they will. And I think that no matter which party wins, the Republican party is going to really lose out in the long run. Their stance toward women's issues and religious intolerance are too divisive and controlling. Maybe a third party will try to rise. I don't know. Sigh.

I know there are friends who will be thrilled with this ticket - and that's great for them. They are certainly entitled to have candidates that they can get behind too.

I try to keep an open mind and do my homework - though I admittedly fail sometimes - to spend as much time as I should. Biden scared me and Palin terrified me. Biden, had experience and to a large degree, managed to keep his mouth shut most of the time. Palin - no such luck - enough said. More than enough was said. Way. More.

I am glad Ryan has some facility with numbers and an interest in the intricacies of policy, but - well. Won't go there. No point. Very tired of the Super PAC and PAC systems, just tired of money running the race on both sides. And I see it getting worse instead of better.

I feel like there's a video game mentality to our elections. I don't see or hear people looking at what benefits our country, so much as who can win, what prize can be obtained, notching a reward, a "What is it gonna get me" mentality. I'm sick of it all the way around. It's getting hard to find someone with a goal of serving the people instead of forcing others to a particular way of thinking - on both sides, btw. Tolerance has really taken a hit. And it's not just at the federal level. The goal of forcing an agenda has overridden service.

There is a part of me that is soooo thrilled to see an election where we have a Mormon candidate running with a Catholic candidate (I've always been a JFK fan by the way), an older candidate (though God knows that's not new, but remains representative) and a candidate of color. That's a HUGE, huge step forward in some ways. Or could be. And yet...I see a poverty of service and tolerance.

Obama is the only one that I see working toward that - even though I don't always agree with him, his administration or party. At least I see an effort being made. A focus toward representing everyone in ways that will give them a better life and better chance instead of a pre-determined religious belief or financially self-serving boost.

Frankly, I can't see any of that from the others, no matter which way I look at it. I have tried to look at it from many different angles and through my friend's eyes.

I don't think they are rotten human beings or anything of the sort. I'd like to think we would get along just fine as human beings. I suspect they try to be good parents and pet owners and responsible partners to their spouses. I just don't think they have the focus on service, tolerance and acceptance that I expect from a civil servant.

I have been leaning toward Obama because I see it from him. Romney's choice of a running mate makes the decision for me. It makes me mourn the lack of centrism that keeps our national cohesion a priority."

1 comment:

  1. The lack of centrism is deliberate. There is a reason why newly elected Republican governors in Michigan, Wisconsin, Florida, Kansas and Ohio all began working from essentially the same playbook (voter suppression legislation, union busting, Medicaid privatization)- think tanks spend millions of dollars and years developing this legislation and strategy on behalf of wealthy corporate donors.

    The overall strategy is to move the "window" - to be so far to the right that the idiot press will automatically declare the mid-point the centrist position, even though it is not.
    Republican: The sky is red.
    Democrat: Thousands of years of observation and scientific measurement shows the sky is blue.
    Press: The sky is purple.

    Real example:
    Republican: There is no global warming.
    Democrat: 98% of scientists believe there is global warming.
    Press: We can't be sure who is right.

    I have a lot of friends who call themselves "moderate Republicans" - and I hate to break it to them, but the time is going to come where they're going to have to give up that fantasy and choose whose side they're on.

    ReplyDelete